Kpop Friday! Korean Beverages



Hello ladies! I am back with a new Kpop Friday! And since its going to be a long weekend I know that most of you already went partying last night.

And what do parties have? Booze of course! haha!

Koreans, like other races have their distinctive beverages in which Koreans love. I will be sharing to you Korean beverages - both modern and traditional.




Lets start with the alcoholic beverage shall we?


Lets start with Soju. Soju is a distilled beverage comparable to vodka. It is mostly made from rice or other starches such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, wheat, barley and tapioca.

Like vodka, soju is colorless. But don't be fooled, the alcohol content of this varies from 16.5% to 45%.

According to my Korean friend Gwang Min (oppa I greeted you na! haha! you promised homemade patbingsu! lol), Soju actually means burned liquor. And soju is not a wine - it is a liquor.


Next one is Baekseju which literally means one hundred years wine. From the literal meaning it is said that this will help you live up until a hundred. So maybe when I drink a shot of this I'll live to a hundred? hmmm interesting LOL

Baekseju is a glutinous rice-based beverage flavored with a variety of herbs.

According to my Korean friends, Baekseju is something that young Koreans don't drink since it has that old fashioned taste, and you cannot mix this drink with any alcoholic beverage unlike soju.

Lastly we have makgeolli. Makgeolli is a milky, sweet alcoholic beverage that is made from rice.

This is great to drink especially on a hot day when me and my Koreans went to norebang last summer. Its quite refreshing but like soju, it can give you tons of hang over, if you don't know how to prevent one hehehe :D



There is also beer in Korea, and according to my students beer in Korean is mekkju or maekju. I think the most popular brand of beer in Korea is Cass and Hite.

Now lets move on to our non alcoholic beverages. Like the alcoholic, there is also a traditional and modern Korean drinks.




Lets start with teas. Tea is the most known and has a variety of flavors from green tea, barley tea (called boricha), corn tea (called Oksusu cha) and other variants.


Another traditional drink called Hwachae which is made with fruits, flower petals, honey or sugar.


Modern Korean drinks are 2% flavored water, Chilsung cider - a clear carbonated sugar soda, banana oyoo or banana milk among others.

There are actually a lot of non alcoholic Korean beverages that I can list down but this blog post would be too long if you want to know them more. You can also check out other online articles about Korean beverages.

I am actually thinking of making one for myself this coming december so I won't be able to eat more since I will be bringing tea with me ^0^

What Korean beverage have you tried?

let me know on the comment box below and I'll talk to you soon!

Have a great weekend!

Much Love!

xx Alice

Comments

Nice! I didn't know. I wanna try these drinks too! :) Woot! Esp. the last ones - modern Korean drinks? Thanks for sharing, Alice! :)

I'd like to invite you to participate in my 1st Blog giveaway (^_^)
#ChaiChenGiveaways (International)
Chai's December Birthday Bash - 1st Giveaway! <--click this!
Win shoes, clothing, and accessories worth around $88 from Asianvogue Shop, FlauntPH, and Bedazzle Accessories!

~Chai
http://chenmeicai.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
where to but those flavored milk? ..<
Janine M. said…
I tried to buy a bottle of soju at a 7-11 outlet when I was in 3rd year I think. Hinanapan ako ng voter's id kasi student id lang napakita ko. I explained I was already 18 but they played safe and didn't let me buy it. :))

Or has the legal age for buying alcohol been raised to 21?
Alice said…
@Jenny Austria the banana milk? hmmm you can buy it at any Korean store. But here the banana milk is in carton boxes.. They also have a soda that has taeyang of bigbang's face in it! ^0^
Alice said…
@Janine M. di kasi pwede talaga student ID..kahit ako din..kaya I bring 2 ids ..ung sss ko and yung company ID ko just in case :D

Popular posts from this blog

My addictions: My cute yet ferocious dog named John

What were you back then?

Product Review: iColor Hair Dye Shampoo